San Francisco is building new affordable housing at 730 Stanyan
The City recently purchased the former McDonald’s site at 730 Stanyan Street. MOHCD plans to develop the site into affordable housing.
The development process will take several years. In the meantime, we will create a temporary, interim use for the site.
MOHCD is working with the community to determine what the interim use will be. We will install it after the existing building is demolished.
In January 2020, MOHCD selected both Chinatown Community Development Center (CCDC) and Tenderloin Neighborhood Development Corporation (TNDC) to co-develop 730 Stanyan.
For general project updates please visit the new 730 Stanyan webpage.
As of February 10, 2020 initial demolition of the existing structure is complete. In the coming months, MOHCD anticipates some remaining PG&E utility work. Once PG&E has completed the work and fully capped the electrical and gas service lines, demolition of the structure and site work is estimated to be completed in Spring 2020.
In Spring 2020, after demolition is complete and we have a better sense of the development timeline, we will advise neighbors and stakeholders of next steps for the site.
- Select a developer. The Request for Qualifications (RFQ) was issued on September 10, 2019.
- Meet with neighbors to design the building and grounds. This includes building height, width, and ground floor uses.
- Finalize the affordable housing program.
The outcome will be a high-quality, permanently affordable housing development. There will be over 120 rental units with a mix of bedroom sizes. The apartments will be affordable to low- and moderate- income households.
Interim Use Request for Proposals (RFP)
- RFP Information Session took place at 3:00 PM on January 31, 2019 at MOHCD (1 South Van Ness Avenue - 5th Floor Room 5080).
- Responses were due by February 28, 2019.
- The City selection process has concluded. MOHCD expresses its thanks to all community members who participated in this process, especially those who submitted proposals for an interim use at 730 Stanyan. Given the possibility of new funding opportunities that could accelerate the construction of affordable housing at the site, as well as the extent of the impact on the neighborhood from the Public Works improvement process currently underway (which has created an urgent need for parking), MOHCD has exercised its right to pause the interim use process.
- We will provide additional updates as these conditions change. Thanks again to all who have expressed interest in the site!
RFP Questions and Answers
Review the May 2018 community meeting
- The archived livestream is available at http://sfgovtv.org/mohcd-meeting
Have questions and comments?