Director of Policy and Legislative Affairs (due 11/5/2021)
0902 – Mayoral Staff XVI
The Mayor’s Office of Housing and Community Development is recruiting for a 0902 – Mayoral Staff XVI working title Director of Policy and Legislative Affairs and Eric Shaw is the hiring manager. This is a Permanent Exempt recruitment.
As a member of the Mayor’s Office of Housing and Community Development senior management team, the Director of Policy and Legislative Affairs coordinates the organization’s public policy and legislative affairs activities and facilitates stakeholder participation and communication for key policy and program initiatives. This position is responsible for overseeing and managing a wide range of issues, deliverables and relationships related to public policy as well as legislative and intergovernmental affairs. The Director will serve as the point person for policy formation and legislative work related to MOHCD programs and initiatives. The Director will provide interagency coordination, facilitate stakeholder input, and serve as a liaison to the Mayor’s Office, elected officials, other City departments and local, state and federal agencies.
Essential responsibilities include:
- Represent MOHCD at public hearings, commissions, and meetings. Coordinate public presentations related to specific legislative items and policy programs and initiatives.
- Manage outreach and engagement to the Board of Supervisors and other elected officials ensuring that accurate and up-to-date information is provided to policymakers and elected officials;
- Coordinate the drafting, introduction and passage of MOHCD legislation, maintain MOHCD legislative calendar and serve as MOHCD’s liaison to other City agencies and elected officials;
- Develop and maintain MOHCD’s relationships with housing and community development experts, stakeholder groups and organizations at the local, state and federal level;
- Create and maintain MOHCD’s public policy agenda in coordination with MOHCD leadership and the Mayor’s policy and legislative staff;
- Oversee program updates and policy reports required by funders and stakeholders; produce white papers and policy papers as needed; and coordinate topic-specific reports and presentations for the Mayor, Board of Supervisors and/or policy bodies as directed;
- Monitor federal, state, and local legislation and policy changes relevant to MOHCD’s mission and programs; conduct policy analysis and coordinate with Mayor’s policy staff and MOHCD leadership on recommended actions as necessary;
- Monitor City policy changes relevant to MOHCD’s mission, (such as transit impact fee, CEQA reform, student housing, and development of micro-units); coordinate with Mayor’s policy staff and recommend action as necessary.