COVER Loan Program
The Code Violation Rehab (COVER) Loan Program helps low to moderate income San Francisco owner-occupied property owners who have limited funds to fix their homes after receiving a code violation from the Department of Building Inspection (DBI).
You can apply for a COVER loan if you:
- Own and occupy a property with 1-4 units.
- The property must be free of liens such as for delinquent taxes, judgments and mechanics liens.
- Have received a Notice of Violation or Notice of Abatement from the Department of Building Inspection.
- Are at or below 120% of AMI for your household size.
120% AMI in 2019
COVER loan details
- Interest rate: 1% simple, annual interest.
- Loan term: No monthly payments for 10 years; Term renewable on a needs basis.
- Restrictions: Owner occupancy restriction for the life of the loan.
Apply for a COVER loan
Upload your documents with Sharefile
Sharefile will ask you to create an account
If you do not have internet access or are unable to submit electronically, you may submit a paper application by US mail to:
Mayor’s Office of Housing and Community Development
Attn: COVER Loan Program
1 South Van Ness Ave., 5th Floor
San Francisco, CA 94103
If you have specific questions regarding the application or the required supporting documentation, please work with a HUD-approved housing counseling agency. For a list of HUD-approved housing counseling agencies please go to www.homeownershipSF.org.
After you apply
- You must get 3 bids from different Contractors to address all code violations from DBI.
- Contractors must be qualified, licensed and City-Certified.
- You have 10 business days to choose the awarded Contractor and submit a fully executed Scope of Work and Cost Estimate, along with the Owner and Contractor Agreement to MOHCD with all additional bids. MOHCD will review all bids for cost reasonableness.
- Links to Dept. of Consumer Affairs Contractors State License Board
- Hire a Contractor link to http://www.cslb.ca.gov/Consumers/Hire_A_Contractor/
- Do it Right/Hire a Contractor link to http://www.cslb.ca.gov/Consumers/Hire_A_Contractor/Do_It_Right_Video.aspx
- How to check a Contractor's License link to https://www2.cslb.ca.gov/OnlineServices/CheckLicenseII/CheckLicense.aspx
- MOHCD will order a property appraisal.
- MOHCD will provide a commitment letter with full loan documents for you to review.
- Sign loan documents at MOHCD's office at 1 S. Van Ness Avenue, 5th Floor, San Francisco.
- Executed documents must be notarized and recorded before construction work begins.
- You are responsible for overseeing the construction work.
- Should there be any changes to the scope of work, your contractor must provide a Change Order Request Form immediately to MOHCD for review and approval.
- Your contractor must submit a Payment Request Form to MOHCD to initiate payment.
- Any unused funds will be used to pay down your loan balance.
- You must provide documentation from DBI to verify all Code Violations have been cleared.
- You will receive a COVER loan closure letter with your loan balance details.
- After construction work completion a Notice of Completion is prepared, signed by one owner and recorded by MOHCD so that the time limit within which any mechanic's lien can be filed against the property is reduced.
- COVER Application
- COVER Bid Template
- City-Certified Contractors
- How to Become a City-Certified Contractor
- Scope of Work and Cost Estimate
- Change Order Request Form
- Payment Request Form
- Notice of Completion
If you have any questions, contact Ffely Charun at Ffely.Charun@sfgov.org