Downpayment Assistance Loan Program (DALP)
The Downpayment Assistance Loan Program is available through MOHCD Approved Participating Lenders Only
DALP PRE-APPROVAL IS AVAILABLE NOW!
The homebuyer must first apply for pre-approval of a DALP loan and request a reservation of DALP funds. Reservations will be allocated through a lottery process.
Application Fee $580 (non -refundable); Application Fee $696 if applying with Mortgage Credit Certificate
DALP PROGRAM OVERVIEW
The Downpayment Assistance Loan Program (DALP) provides down payment assistance, in the form of a deferred payment loan up to $375,000, to qualified low and middle income first time homebuyers for the purchase of a market-rate principal residence in San Francisco. The DALP is a silent second loan that requires no monthly payments for 30 years. The principal amount plus an equitable share of appreciation shall become due and payable at the end of the term, or repaid upon sale or transfer.
HOW TO APPLY
MOHCD will accept complete Pre-Approval Application packets starting from 7/5/2017 to 8/21/2017.
To apply for a DALP Loan and Reservation, the Borrower must first submit a signed complete Pre-Approval Application Packet via a secured email link provided by MOHCD, or delivery by mail or in person by the application lottery deadline (5:00PM, 8/21/2017).
Complete packets received by the application lottery deadline will receive a numbered lottery ticket and be entered in MOHCD’s electronic system for the lottery based on MOHCD's standard lottery process. Incomplete packets will not be entered into the lottery. Please indicate your email address in the Pre-Approval Application if you would like receive your lottery ticket number. If no email address is provided, your lottery ticket number will be mailed to your mailing address provided in your application.
A Reservation does not constitute final loan approval nor guarantee funding. A DALP loan will only be funded when the Borrower receives a loan commitment from MOHCD, satisfies the Reservation timeframe described below and meets the DALP requirements.
1. Purchase Period (60 Calendar Days). The pre-approval is good for 60 calendar days. During such period, borrowers must enter into a sales contract.
2. Lender DALP Loan Submittal Period (30 Calendar Days). Within 30 calendar days following the execution of a sales contract, the Lender must submit a complete DALP loan packet to MOHCD.
3. MOHCD Review Period (10 Business Days). Upon receipt of a complete DALP loan packet, MOHCD will review it within 10 business days.
4. Loan Commitment Period (30 Calendar Days). Upon loan approval, MOHCD will issue a Commitment Letter that is good for 30 calendar days.
YOUR FIRST STEPS TO BUY A HOUSE WITH A DALP LOAN
Step 1: Complete Verification of Homebuyer Education Requirements — contact one of the five MOHCD- approved first-time homebuyer counseling agencies to get first-time homeownership counseling, and receive a Verification of Homebuyer Education.
Step 2: Get a pre-approval — select one of MOHCD-authorized lending officers to get a pre-approval on the primary mortgage loan based on the household’s financial needs.
Step 3: Submit a complete Pre-Approval Application Packet to MOHCD — MOHCD will place all complete Pre-Approval Application packets received by the application deadline in the lottery pool. A lottery will be conducted to determine the rank order. After the lottery, MOHCD will review and process the Pre-Approval applications adhering to the rank order of the lottery list, and send a written response to approve or deny the pre-approval application.
- First-time homebuyers: No member of a household must have had any ownership interest in a residential unit for the last three years.
- Income Limits: household's income must not exceed 175% of the area median income (AMI). See Current Year Maximum Income Limits as of April 14, 2017 (PDF)
- Occupancy: The property must be owner-occupied during the life of the loan.
- Downpayment: Borrower must contribute a minimum of 5% (2.5% from borrower's own funds, and remainder from gifts or grants).
- Liquid Assets: Borrower must have no more than $300,000 prior to purchase, and no more than $60,000 after purchase.
- Reserves: Borrower must have a minimum of 3 months reserves (principal, interest, property taxes, hazard insurance and homeowner’s association dues) in liquid reserves after purchase.
- Property Size Requirements: Property size must be compatible with the size of the household. A minimum of one person per bedroom is required. Properties containing Rental Units and In-Law units in addition to the unit to be purchased are not eligible for a DALP loan.
- Property Requirements: The property must be Single-Unit Residences located in San Francisco. The residences may be a single-family house, Condominium, Townhouse/Town Home, Loft or Live Work Unit (as long as the property will be used as the owner’s principal residence). Rental of any portion of the property is NOT allowed.
- Property Flipping: DALP cannot be used to purchase properties resold within 90 days and priced more than 20% above the initial purchase price.
- Inspection Reports: A “general home inspection” and a “pest control inspection” dated within 90 days of the DALP loan submission are required.
- Lien Position: DALP loan must be in second position behind the first mortgage.
- First Mortgage Loan Term: The first mortgage loan must be a 30-year fixed rate mortgage, the mortgage payment must be fully amortizing.
- Impounds: The first mortgage lender must collect and manage impound accounts for property taxes and hazard insurance for the loan term.
- LTV and CLTV Ratio: The minimum Loan-to-Value (LTV) is 50% , and the maximum Combined Loan-to-Value (CLTV) is 95%.
- Front-End (Housing) Ratio: No less than 33% and no more than 40%
- Back-End (Total Debt) Ratio: No more than 43%
- Co-Signing: Co-signing for a DALP loan by a non-household member is not allowed.
- Loan Signing: No power of attorney is allowed. All applicants must be physically present to sign loan documents.
- Closing Costs: DALP Funds cannot be used to pay for loan closing costs and prepaid expenses. The Borrower will be responsible for any closing costs and prepaids associated with the completion of the transaction.
Click HERE for the DALP Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- DALP Manual May 2017
- DALP Announcement 2017-5
- DALP Pre-Approval Application Packet May 2017
- Combined DALP Application 2-2017
- Sample- DALP Escrow Instructions and Closing Documents2.pdf
Mortgage Loan Officers (MLO) or mortgage brokers who would like to become participating lenders for MOHCD's homeownership programs, including DALP, MCC and TND must complete the required training and pay the required fee. Each individual MLO or mortgage broker must complete the training every year. All participating loan agents must provide their NMLS ID# to MOHCD and sign the Homeownership Programs Lender Agreement.